The Sheltered Harbor at Mousehole
(pronounced “MOW-zul.”) opens onto Mount’s Bay, and is just three miles south of Penzance. Mousehole, which Dylan Thomas described as “the loveliest village in England,” has existed since at least 1266 (when it was listed as a major fishing port). Two granite quays—the North Quay, dating from the 17th century, and the South Quay, from the 19th—protect the working harbor, where boats unload their catches of fish and shellfish. In this photo, the
opening in the Harbor Wall reveals St. Michael’s Mount, in the distance.